Date: Saturday, Nov. 13, 2021
Time: 9:00 to 15:00
Location: Kaiyu, Tosashimizu City, Kochi Prefecture
ES JALT Officers will meet to discuss and draft a proposal for 2022 Chapter events and activities to support language learning in Japan. We will also join together as a small group ‘live’ for the the online jalt.org conference.
Date: Saturday, June 19, 2021 (12:00-6:00)
Venue: (Online Conference; Zoom)
Sponsors: Matsuyama JALT, East Shikoku JALT, Oxford University Press
JALT Members and students: free
One-Day Member Fee: 1000 yen
Outdoor Family Bonnenkai BBQ and Winter Camp
With the current pandemic crisis putting a damper on most face to face events, we hope to create opportunities to collaborate and socialize with colleagues and friends under safe (and fun!) outdoor conditions. Our December East Shikoku JALT social event aims to get chapter members together in person for something unique through a BBQ and camp in the great (and remote!) Kochi outdoors. The aim is to meet in person and say good-bye to a challenging 2020 while keeping a safe distance in an expansive natural setting, and to informally plan what is best for East Shikoku chapter in 2021. Please join us for good food and cheerful discussion over a warm campfire. Feel free to bring along your spouses, partners, children, and pets. If you plan to attend, please register for this event by replying to Paul Daniels, our chapter Treasurer, at the email below.
Date: December 5 and 6, 2020
Time: Starting at 2:00 pm on Saturday
Location: Ashizuri, Kochi (Tojindaba Picnic Site): https://goo.gl/maps/e5W1aqpf9T3cfLxbA
What to bring: BYO food & drink, warm clothes, soccer balls, baseball gloves, tent & sleeping bag if
staying the night. The camp site is free and spacious with running water, but has only drop toilets.
Speaker: Don Carroll, Shikoku Gakuin University
Date and time: Sunday, Feb. 4th (2:00 – 4:00)
Location: English Cafe, Olive Square, Kagawa University.
Abstract: Questions are rarely just questions…and responses do more than answer. Both questions and their responses serve as vehicles for social actions and both are finely tuned to manage the exigencies of a particular moment in talk-in-interaction. Continue reading
Download conference poster
- Date: Saturday, May 13, 2017 (12:30-5:30)
- Venue: Kochi University, Asakura Campus, Humanities Bldg, 5F, Meeting Room 1
- Sponsors: Matsuyama JALT, East Shikoku JALT, Oxford University Press
- Website: East Shikoku JALT – http://esjalt.org
- Fees: JALT Members and students: free, One-Day Member Fee: 1000 yen
- 12:30-12:50 Registration/Welcome
- 1:00-1:45 Keynote Lecture: Terry Laskowski (Kumamoto University), Unpacking Three Interrelated Concepts: Globalization (as Spaceship Earth), Active Learning, Teaching English Through English (TETE)
- 1:45-2:30 Oxford University Press Featured Speaker: Rob Peacock, Motivating Learners to Speak
- 2:50-5:30 Parallel presentation sessions: Meeting Room 1 Seminar Room 1
Speaker: Ben Crystal
Abstract: The guardian of English poetry, the inventor of over 1,000 words still in use today, and one of the greatest players with our language, Shakespeare has given us a treasure trove of English to read – funny how so much of it doesn’t make sense until it’s spoken out-loud. Actor and author Ben Crystal explores the accent, the theatrical conventions, and the world of Shakespeare, to reveal a bright and beautiful English.
Day & Time: Wed. 26 April 2017, 16:30
Location: Media Hall (Kochi University Library 6F) Continue reading
This year’s East Shikoku JALT program of events will kick off in Takamatsu, Kagawa with a workshop on error correction.
- Speaker: Noriko Shinohara
- Title: Error correction presentation and workshop
- Date/Time: Sunday, January 29th, 2:00-4:00 p.m.
- Venue: English Cafe, Kagawa University
Speaker bio: Noriko Shinohara is the co-founder of DOUBLET, a translation company in Takamatsu, Kagawa and a lecturer at Kagawa University. She has an MA from the University of Birmingham. Her main research interests are error correction and student coaching.
ESJALT Shinnenkai, Kochi City.