Speaker: Don Carroll, Shikoku Gakuin University
Date and time: Sunday, Feb. 4th (2:00 – 4:00)
Location: English Cafe, Olive Square, Kagawa University.
Abstract: Questions are rarely just questions…and responses do more than answer. Both questions and their responses serve as vehicles for social actions and both are finely tuned to manage the exigencies of a particular moment in talk-in-interaction. Continue reading
Download conference poster
- Date: Saturday, May 13, 2017 (12:30-5:30)
- Venue: Kochi University, Asakura Campus, Humanities Bldg, 5F, Meeting Room 1
- Sponsors: Matsuyama JALT, East Shikoku JALT, Oxford University Press
- Website: East Shikoku JALT – http://esjalt.org
- Fees: JALT Members and students: free, One-Day Member Fee: 1000 yen
- 12:30-12:50 Registration/Welcome
- 1:00-1:45 Keynote Lecture: Terry Laskowski (Kumamoto University), Unpacking Three Interrelated Concepts: Globalization (as Spaceship Earth), Active Learning, Teaching English Through English (TETE)
- 1:45-2:30 Oxford University Press Featured Speaker: Rob Peacock, Motivating Learners to Speak
- 2:50-5:30 Parallel presentation sessions: Meeting Room 1 Seminar Room 1
Speaker: Ben Crystal
Abstract: The guardian of English poetry, the inventor of over 1,000 words still in use today, and one of the greatest players with our language, Shakespeare has given us a treasure trove of English to read – funny how so much of it doesn’t make sense until it’s spoken out-loud. Actor and author Ben Crystal explores the accent, the theatrical conventions, and the world of Shakespeare, to reveal a bright and beautiful English.
Day & Time: Wed. 26 April 2017, 16:30
Location: Media Hall (Kochi University Library 6F) Continue reading
This year’s East Shikoku JALT program of events will kick off in Takamatsu, Kagawa with a workshop on error correction.
- Speaker: Noriko Shinohara
- Title: Error correction presentation and workshop
- Date/Time: Sunday, January 29th, 2:00-4:00 p.m.
- Venue: English Cafe, Kagawa University
Speaker bio: Noriko Shinohara is the co-founder of DOUBLET, a translation company in Takamatsu, Kagawa and a lecturer at Kagawa University. She has an MA from the University of Birmingham. Her main research interests are error correction and student coaching.
ESJALT Shinnenkai, Kochi City.
We are seeking contributions about the experience of raising bilingual/bicultural children in Japan. We are primarily interested in the experience of raising bilingual/bicultural children outside of Japan’s large urban centres where English education options are generally not present, and where international opportunities are limited. Additionally, in some of the more rural or peripheral parts of Japan, even in small cities, it is often challenging to establish and sustain face-to-face social/community support networks because of limited numbers and geographic distance. If you would like to share a story about the challenges of raising bilingual kids in peripheral areas of Japan, please consider making a submission. Thus far we have received outstanding stories/contributions ranging in scope from maintaining L1 literacy when both parents are foreign nationals to nurturing bilingualism in a hearing-impaired child.
The Conference is co-sponsored by East Shikoku JALT, Matsuyama JALT, and Oxford University Press.
Date, time & location:
Saturday, June 18, 2016, 1:00-6:00
Ehime University (M23/M24, 2F Muse Bldg, Johoku Campus)
Keynote speaker: John Adamson (University of Niigata Prefecture), Research into Academic Publishing: Emerging Trends and Practices
OUP sponsored presentation: Stephen Ryan (Waseda University), Embracing Unpredictability in the Language Classroom
- Any JALT member may attend the Conference free of charge.
- There is no presentation fee for JALT members with accepted proposals.
- One-day membership for non-members: 1000 yen
- There will be a presentation fee of 2000 yen for accepted proposals from non-members (in addition to the one-day membership)
- Co-presenter submissions are welcomed but the main speaker shall be responsible for any payment of presentation fees for non-member co-presenters one month prior to the Conference.
Darren Lingley & Mike Delve
7th Annual Shikoku JALT Conference (2016)